Monday, October 27, 2008

The next 40 days - A Call to Die

Last week I received a call from a my close friend of many years, Brandon Mitchell. He and I have traveled together for years doing ministry. Some of the truly life-changing and heart-altering moments in my life have Brandon somewhere in the middle of the story. God has used him in my life in more ways than I can count and for that I will always value the real friendship that we have. Any who, he called me last weekend and asked me if I wanted to take part in a 40 day fast and study using the book by David Nasser: "A Call to Die". I immediately jumped at the opportunity and so here I am today.

Today was the first day of the book and already I'm being stirred in my heart by God to understand what denying myself, taking up my, cross and dieing on it daily even means. That's one heavy call by Jesus to grasp. Nasser defines denying ourselves as: saying "No!" to selfishness.

self⋅ish⋅ness

–adjective

1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
2. characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself: selfish motives.


No matter how you look at this.....it's bad.

Selfishness, by definition, in our lives cannot equal God's heart.

Just as I have been challenged today, I challenge you....

What areas in our lives are consumed by selfishness? Until I am honest about what I am selfish about in my life I cannot move forward in any understanding of denying myself. I entreat us all......on the journey to deny ONESELF we cannot DENY how selfish we are.

No comments: