Thursday, October 2, 2008

...through him also he created the world.

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son (Jesus), whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs."


Hebrews 1:1-4

  • Through Jesus, the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, God created the world

Jesus is the beginning thought and desire of God. There is nothing in this world that God has created that does not reflect the glory and infinite sovereignty of the Lord.
The implications of this statement should revolutionize the way we see Jesus. Before the very foundation of the world Jesus was. Everything that God has done and is currently doing happens through Jesus Christ. Jesus is the perfect picture of the character that is God.

Several years ago I was in Florida traveling with a ministry that did youth camps. One early morning as I awoke from a restless night of sleep I had no desire to get out of bed. I hadn't slept well. I knew how hot it was outside. Worst of all I knew a long and demanding day was ahead of me. Somehow I mustered the strength to get up and take a shower. I don't remember talking to anyone as I got up. It was one of those days where my mind and heart were numb. To be completely honest I had no intentions of trying to change my mood. The only thought that invaded my mind at the time was to get through the day . As the team gathered in the worship center of this facility I found a spot in the back of the group hoping to evade any social talk as my heart had already given up for the day. We were challenged to use the first few minutes of our day to get alone and have a "quiet time". The only quiet time I had in mind was one in my bed with the sheets over my head. Reluctantly I picked up my bible and opened it in hopes that people wouldn't see how much I really didn't want to be doing this right now. I opened the bible and did what any unmotivated christian does...I randomly opened my bible as my way of the Lord "leading me" to read a specific thing. I repeatedly kept hitting books like Obadiah and Zephaniah. After playing this game for several minutes I just happened to open the Bible to Hebrews 12. Since 10 minutes had almost gone by I decided this would be the last opening of the bible for the day so I might as well read a little. Who knew this was a moment God had planned before time was time? The next 20 minutes of my life would be one of the most significant encounters of Jesus that still haunts me to this very day.

These are the words I read:

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."

Hebrews 12:1-2

  • Through Jesus, the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for joy that was set before him endured the cross. despising the shame, and seated at the right hand of the throne of God, God created the world.

As I tried to imagine what Jesus seated at the right hand of the throne of God looked like, through this revelation of scripture, God gave me a beautiful picture of how his loved, chosen children are seen by him through Jesus. I've struggled these past few years trying to describe this eye-opening vision of the Father's heart on paper.

The vision is this: We are seen only by God as righteous and loved children when Jesus is visibly in the gaze of the Father. When we call on the name of the Lord and ask him to be master and savior of our lives Jesus is then placed in the middle of his vision of us. Through Jesus we are cleansed from all impurity and redeemed by His sacrifice. It is in Jesus and through him that we are given new life.

So with every prayer, every cry, every song, every promise made to God, unless it is through Jesus it is not received. Conversely God does not communicate back to us without Jesus being first in His thought.

So what does all this mean? Why spend so much time explaining the same ideas over and over again? We have to understand the importance of daily seeking the Lord. It is imperative that we draw close to Jesus as the Holy spirit empowers us to know more and more of Jesus everyday. The more we unpack the scripture into our lives the more character of Christ is revealed to us. What is left is a hunger and desire for righteousness that can only be satisfied by Jesus. The answer is Christ. In whatever situation we find ourselves in, whatever circumstances that seem to drive our lives, our only hope is Jesus.

"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God. For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life. More than that, we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation."

Romans 5:1-11

  • Through Jesus, the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for joy that was set before him endured the cross. despising the shame, and seated at the right hand of the throne of God, God created the world. Because of this we rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now been reconciled and restored.




1 comment:

Linda said...

Thank you for this entry. Very thought-provoking.